Unknown

Papa did not pass the BAR exam.


BAR Exam is an exam taken by law graduates. (In case you didn't know) If you pass, the government gives you a license which gives you a lot of advantages in life (money, fame, blah, blah, blah).


This is the second time he took the exam (and failed). You can't believe the hell I've been through while he was busy taking that damn exam. The first time was tedious though he was only gone for a month. I was in charge of the family budget composed of P6000. Trust me, a family can barely live with P6000 a month. Last year (the second time), he left for 7 months. He took a reviewer's class thingy in Ateneo de Manila (what a waste of good money). If one month was hard, imagine how much I suffered in 7 months.


You might be thinking, "What kind of kid says such things to a father?" or something along those lines. Well, let me tell you this. My mom went to Canada to work as a caregiver. Why? She wanted to be rich. When she was unmarried, her whole family (a mother, a father, and 7 children) lived in a house with only one room. She'd do anything to escape that life. My dad always wanted to be a lawyer but he was never supported by his parents (they didn't even go to any of his graduations). His father (my grandfather) wanted his eldest son (Uncle Benjoe) to be a lawyer since he always had high grades. Mommy (my grandmother) would not spend more money for Papa to be lawyer and so, he trained to be a priest where he met my mom, a member of the church's choir.


In short, my parents left us to reach their own dreams. I'm angry because while they were off chasing their castles in the air, we were left behind----no, I was left behind and was given the heaviest burden I ever carried. Every day, I dealt with a spoilt sister, a hardheaded brother, an abusive yaya (nanny), a lazy yayo (boy version of nanny) and a moocher (son of a family friend).


So now, Papa is his room (silently crying, I bet). Sigh. I feel sorry for the guy. I DO want to comfort him. It's just that I'm afraid I'm going to say the wrong things. Besides, I think taking the exam was foolish. When I found out that the exam was filled with essays, I knew he was not going to pass. Papa's real smart but he's not good with English grammar.


God, your test turned me into this.


I wonder...what your next test will turn me into.
1 Response
  1. Pia M Says:

    Hi, Setti!
    I was redirected here via my plurk site. I must say I'm impressed by the way you write (if only for this entry) and--bragging aside--it reminds me of my style. I call it "quiet complaining." You see, there are others who complain and you can actually FEEL their anger and disdain. We, on the other hand, keep a levelheadedness that doesn't have to make it personal. We remain objective. I just wanted to tell you to keep it up and it's not the end of the world. Rather, use these instances in your life to build character and actually help make your dreams come true. Nevermind about your siblings, you'll see: you'll reach greater heights!
    Take care, God bless and I'm glad to have met you even if just in cyberspace.
    Love always,
    Pia Magalona


Post a Comment