Out
Unknown
out. art by asuka111. arranged by setti

And the phone rang.

She saw his name on that screen and underneath were two options she wished she didn't have to choose from: accept or ignore.

It rang once. It rang twice. On the third time, she picked it up.

It's amazing how something important can be decided with just a press of a thumb.

Deep breath. "Hello?"

"Hey!"

"..." Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

"I saw you earlier. I wanted to walk up to you but you were sorta busy talking to someone else."

"Yeah...darn Nico keeps going on and on about the concert this Friday."

"A concert that I'm not invited to."

"Oh, c'mon! We both know what would happen if you went."

"You're right. I just want to be with you, is all."

Shit. "Don't be like that. I wish things were different, too."

"Really?"

Did he get what I meant? "Really what?"

"Nothing." Ba-dum. Ba-dum. "Nevermind. So, how was your day?"

"It went fine. Woke up late. Went to class late...the usual. You?"

He laughed. "Woke up early. Went to class on time...the usual."

"..."

"What were you doing before I called?"

"Just thinking."

"Not a very good sign. About what?"

"I don't know. Stuff. Like...Oh! You remember that moment we first met each other?"

"When you had spaghetti on your hair?  How could I?"

"Yeah...but you had milk all over your face!"

"Aha! So you did notice the milk! And you didn't even bother to tell me about it until the professor saw us. You could've at least saved me the embarassment."

"Pfsh. It's not my fault you decided to take that piece of pasta off of me. Never asked you to."

"But that's what I liked about you."

"The spaghetti on my hair?"

"No. The way you could always take care of yourself. I liked it."

Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

And it's amazing how a random thing could mark what was probably the best thing that ever happened to you.

"And that was how it all started."

"Yeah..." Paused on both ends. "I miss it, you know. How we both could never run out of things to talk about."

"And how we kept playing 20 questions so we could both find out more about each other."

"Oh yeah! And don't forget how we kept betting on who could come up with the best pick up line."

"Nah. You cheated and googled everything up." A playful banter ensued.

"...I missed our games. And how we liked and disliked the same things."

"Except for Jason Mraz. You never did like him."

"He's gay."

"Fighting for gay rights doesn't make you gay!"

Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum.

And it's amazing how easy for one singer to tear two people apart.

"Fine! Geez! Chill."

"Ugh. And you wonder why I didn't buy you a ticket for the concert. You'll just bitch about him the whole night."

"Hey! I don't bitch."

"Yeah, you do. You do it all the time."

"No, I don't!"

"Look, Mike. I don't want to fight anymore. Let's just drop the issue, okay?"

"Who says we're fighting???"

"You're bitching again!"

"What---"

"STOP IT. Don't argue. Please."

Ba-dum. Ba-dum...Ba-dum.

And how five words can destroy three years worth of memories.

"Mike...we need to talk."

"It's Nico, isn't it?"

"...Not on the phone."

"Fine. I'm out."

"I'm out, too."

...And how one button could mean something bigger, something painful, something that almost feels like relief.

She pressed End.



0 Responses

Post a Comment